Do You Want To Start Exercising? A Few Simple, Practical Steps To Get You on Your Way
Do You Want To Start Exercising?
If you want to start an exercise program to improve your fitness levels, strength and conditioning, it is often hard to know where to start. The gym can often seem intimidating, expensive, or time consuming. You don’t have to start there. Instead, start by making small changes to your daily habits and include more activity.
A good place to start is:
- Avoid the lift and take the stairs! Stairs are a GREAT way to get those muscles working.
- Park a bit further than your intended destination and get walking.
- Walk/cycle to work.
Take the plunge and start an exercise regime! Your program doesn’t need to be done every day. It can be as simple as a 15 minute walk around the block every other day, and gradually build from there. Any amount of activity that you do in a day, no matter how small, is going to make a difference. Just think, it is more exercise than you would have done previously.
- Have a chat with your Doctor – Discuss your plans with your doctor to ensure you are safe to start an exercise program.
- Get the appropriate gear – Wear correct footwear and don’t carry heavy bags to avoid developing injuries. You can read more on our blog here
- Document your progress – Use an exercise diary or an app on your phone and set realistic and achievable goals for yourself.
- Consult your physiotherapist to prescribe an exercise program that meets your needs and sets you on the right track.
A common question is, “How much should I be exercising a week?” That depends on the individual and on your age, medical condition, and previous exercise history. It is better to start off slowly and gradually build your exercise tolerance.
Make the start today and enjoy the benefits of being more active!