Are You Looking to Start An Exercise Programme? Do You Know All The Facts?
Finding for right exercise programme for you can be quite challenging. Here are a few common misconceptions to consider from our physiotherapy team to help you get on your way.
Do you want to start an exercise programme but don’t know where to begin? With so many resources available at our fingertips, it is often easy to get confused and overwhelmed by conflicting information.
There are many magazines, books and fitness gurus giving out exercise advice that may or may not be helpful! We have compiled a list of common misconceptions that are shared throughout the health and fitness industry.
- “Exercise Builds Big Bulky Muscles”
- Aerobic exercises (walking, jogging, swimming) will strengthen your muscles without bulking them up. Low resistance, high repetition training will tone your muscles and increase your strength. Only a very specific regime of heavy resistance, low repetition training will bulk your muscles.
- “I’m way too big to exercise”
- Having a tailored exercise program will ensure a fun, safe, and effective way to shed the kilos and improve your overall health. It is essential that your program is progressed gradually and meets your individual needs.
- “If I don’t exercise at least 2 hours a day, I won’t receive any benefit!”
- The great thing about exercise is that you can accumulate the benefits over time. Taking a 20-minute walk in the morning on the way to work and another stroll in the park at night is as beneficial as a 40-60 minute session!
What is the most important thing to keep in mind when starting an exercise program?
Start slow and progress at your own pace! It’s easy to get caught up in the next big exercise craze or try to fit in too much, or progress too quickly. This puts you at risk for injury. Listen to your body and consult your physiotherapist for advice if necessary.
If you would like to get started with an exercise programme, read our previous article to give you some ideas to get going.