Stress – A Few Simple Tips to Help You Live a Healthier Life
Life can often be overwhelming, demanding, and downright chaotic – and that’s just the good days!
Sometimes big events like moving house, starting a new job or an illness cause a major disruption in our lives. Other times it can be a multitude of little stresses that can make us feel anxious and dazed. Little stresses such as your boss asking you to finish three reports by noon, your 6-year-old screaming for the newest fidget spinner, or dealing with a niggling back ache for days can accumulate and disrupt our mental and physical flow. So it’s important to try find ways to manage life’s stresses.
Here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Take a deep breath through your nose (Count to 3), hold 1 second, and gently exhale through your mouth. Repeat 5 times. There are some great mobile apps such as Smiling Mind, Headspace & Calm, which can help you get into a great routine.
Eating a healthy and well balanced diet:
- Small dietary changes can make a big impact on your body composition and mood!
Spend time with family and friends:
- Research shows that quality time with friends and family help increase serotonin levels (happy hormones) and decrease cortisol (your stress hormone).
- Take 5 minutes everyday to find a peaceful, private and quiet area. Practice focusing on your breathing and zone out any outside disturbances!
Maintaining a consistent sleep schedule:
- We often have hundreds of different tasks we need to accomplish by the end of the day and take sleep for granted.
- Research shows adults need a full 7-8 hours of sleep to function optimally!
Regular Exercise routine:
- A regular and consistent exercise routine is one of the best ways to de-stress. Even a 20 – 30 minute walk everyday can be a great way to get started. Or read our blog on how to get started here
Incorporating a few of these steps into our daily lives can have a profoundly positive effect on our overall health and wellbeing! Let’s get started today!